Light weight yarn is an excellent in-between yarn weight, making it suitable for many projects.
Read my full guide to weight number 3.
Table Of Contents
What Is Light Yarn?
It’s perfect for knitters of all levels. It isn’t too thin or thick.
They’re fuzzy, lofty, and great for patterns with lots of detail.
- AKA – Light Worsted Yarn, DK weight yarn
- Weight Category – Light
- Wraps Per Inch (WPI) – 11 – 15(2)
- Knitting Gauge Range Equaling Four Inches – 21 – 24 stitches
- It’s thicker than super fine yarn, fine weight yarn, sport yarn, baby weight yarn, and sport weight yarn
- It’s thinner than yarn weights like worsted weight yarn, bulky yarn, chunky yarns, super bulky yarn, and jumbo yarn
Light Weight Key Facts
What Weight Number Is Light Weight Yarn?
According to the Craft Yarn Council, it’s weight number 3 on the yarn weight chart.(1)
What’s It Made From?
Most are made with
- A blend of the above
You can also find bamboo, pima cotton, mulberry silk, or baby alpaca.
Why Use It?
It’s easy to work with, as it knits up quickly because it’s a thicker yarn and you use larger needles.
Light sweaters, afghans, accessories and baby garments are some options to choose from!
What If It’s Held Double?
If you want a heavier yarn, try holding two strands together. This increases the drape of the fabric.
Pin For Later
Uses For This Yarn
- Thick socks
- A hat pattern
- A lightweight wrap
- Light sweaters
- Baby items, garments or blankets
- Fingerless gloves
It’s not suitable for arm knitting, or making rugs!
Light Weight Patterns To Try
Here are great free patterns for knitters using light yarn. They’re divided by skill level to make it easier for you.
Hope you find a wonderful project to do next!
What Knitting Needles To Use
- US Needle Size – 5 – 7
- For those of you in Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand – 3.75 – 4.5mm
Note: The above are guidelines only. Always do a gauge swatch before starting a project.
Run out of this or can’t find it? Use Aran weight yarn or worsted weight yarn instead.
How Do You Spot Light Yarn At Craft Stores?
If you’re looking for this at your local store, here’s how to find it.
- The ball band has a 3 on the yarn label
- If it’s called light worsted, check it out
- It’s usually sold in 1.8oz (50g) or 3.5oz (100g) skeins
- It’s affordable
Lion Brand has excellent ones to choose from.
How Popular Is Light Yarn?
It’s available widely, but it’s not as popular as worsted weight.
How Much Light Yarn For A Blanket?
Around 1150 yards.
How Much Light Yarn For A Sweater?
Around 1000 yards.
How Much Light Yarn For A Scarf?
Around 200 yards.
What Ply Is Light Weight Yarn?
It’s usually 8-ply.
You’ll love the drape and feel of this yarn as you knit! Happy knitting or crocheting!
Have questions? Let me know below. (Your email address is never published.)
- “Standard Yarn Weight System.” n.d. Craftyarncouncil.com. Accessed October 23, 2022. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system.
- “How to Measure Wraps per Inch (WPI).” n.d. Craftyarncouncil.com. Accessed October 23, 2022. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-measure-wraps-inch-wpi.